Thursday, May 10, 2012

Untitled Short Story

Last night, I sat down and wrote a six-page short story without stopping. It felt good. It doesn't have a title yet. If you have any great title recommendations, let me know ;) 



PART ONE

I successfully ran away from home for the first time when I was twelve years old. 

I suppose every kid tries to run away from home at some point in their childhood.  I had made previous attempts. 
When I was five, one evening I plotted an escape with my favorite teddy bear, a stuffed animal named Ralph who was so threadbare my mother had sewn his stuffing entrails back into him numerous times; she had also patched up his bottom where the neighbor’s dog had taken a chunk out of him trying to rip him from my shrieking, four-year-old grip.  I wrapped Ralph up in my blankie and sneaked into the kitchen while Ma and Daddy were watching TV in the living room in the dark.  I still remember the narrow rectangle of light the refrigerator spilled onto the linoleum as I cracked the door open ever so slightly.  I remember how anxious that line of light made me as my young self realized I hadn’t planned this well enough, and that line of light was going to get me caught.  Just as vividly, I remember the relief I felt shimmying through my body when I saw that Ma and Dad hadn’t noticed the fridge light at all.  I heard Ma’s soft laughter in the living room; perhaps they were watching a comedy. 
            Very quietly, I pulled out three grape-flavored juice boxes (they were my favorites) and carefully tucked them into the blankie with Ralph.  Hugging the bundle closely to my stomach, hoping desperately not to drop it and spill my reserves loudly onto the floor exposing my presence, I tiptoed out to the garage door and very slowly opened it and slipped through.  I knew the big garage door would be open, because my big brother Marty wasn’t home from his after-school job yet; Daddy always left the garage door open and the driveway light on until sixteen-year-old Marty got home from the Safe-n-Saver where he worked then as a bag boy. 
            Five-year-old me made it all the way to the end of the driveway in my Disney Princess nightgown and fuzzy pink slippers before my hands began to clam up, and I began to worry that three juice boxes might not be enough to make it for very long, and I began to wonder if I would never see Ma and Daddy again if I ran away, and that seemed like a lot to take in.  I returned to the house, put away the juice boxes, and put myself to bed.  No one knew I had even left the house. 
            When I was ten, I again tried to make a break for it.  Ma and Daddy were fighting a lot by that time over finances and future plans and a bunch of other things I was too young then to understand but now believe had something to do with sex.  The worst time for me was after I had been tucked-in and was lying in my pink-and-green-flowered canopy bed trying to drift off to sleep.  During the afternoons when Ma and Daddy fought, I could drown out the noise by focusing hard on my homework or going over to our next-door neighbor’s house (the old couple with the mean dog had moved out a couple of years prior, making way for a nice family with a daughter my age named Martha).  When Ma and Daddy yelled in the evenings, I could barely hear them over my own laughing as I watched my favorite television shows, or over the squeaking of the trampoline springs as I jumped for hours in the backyard.  But at night, when the whole neighborhood seemed to have gone to sleep, and it was just Ralph and me cuddled up in the dark, the sound of Ma and Daddy arguing sounded like fingernails running down a chalkboard and felt like that pain in your chest when some bully dunks you underwater in the neighborhood swimming pool and holds you there even as you flail your arms and kick him. 
So Ralph and I prepared for a get-a-way, again at night.  This time I planned things a little better.  I waited until my parents had finally yelled themselves to sleep, Ma on the couch in the den and Daddy at the kitchen table, slumped over a heaping pile of bills. Slowly, quietly, carefully, I packed myself a lunch box with all of my favorites: two grape juice boxes, one peanut butter and jelly sandwich (grape jelly, of course), a carton of milk, a box of animal crackers, and a banana.  I also snatched a twenty from dad’s bedside table; I knew it was there, because I had seen him put it there after retracting it from my brother Marty for taking his girlfriend out in Daddy’s car without asking (but also, I think, for still living at home and still working at the Safe-n-Saver and smoking a lot of pot at age twenty-one).  I felt a little guilty about taking the twenty, especially since money seemed to be the cause of a lot of Ma and Daddy’s fights, but I had to be practical.  My poor planning before would have really cost me, had I made it past the driveway. 
This time, I made it almost all the way out of our neighborhood, but a man who lived in the house at the entrance and worked with Daddy recognized me, apprehended me, and returned me to my very sleepy, very worn, very angry parents.  The same twenty was retracted from me, also. 
But by the time I was twelve, I’d given my escape strategy a lot more thought.  Daddy had run away from home himself the year before, but he had plenty of twenties and a car, so he got a lot further than I had.  Ma didn’t do anything anymore except watch soap operas and game shows and smoke cigarettes.  I believe that soft laughter coming from the living room as five-year-old me opened the refrigerator in the dark was the last sound of happiness I ever heard from her. 
Marty had finally moved out.  He’d knocked up the girl he had taken out in Daddy’s car without permission, so he had to marry her and get a real job and stop smoking so much pot.  He quit working at the Safe-n-Saver grocery and took up residence as a bank teller.  What a life, surrounded by twenties, all day long (but snatch one of those, and it’s the big house for you).  With Marty and Daddy gone, watching Ma smoke herself to death on the couch had become too much to bear. 
So one day after school I took my allowance on my bike into town and bought a small fold-up camping tent at Walmart.  I brought the tent back home and hid it under my no-longer-canopy bed, still in the box.  The next morning at school, I invited Martha to come with me.  “We’ll be renegades,” I promised her.  “Fancy free, like in the movies.” 
“But I like my family,” Martha replied. 
I hated her guts until lunch.  We always ate together outside at the picnic table under the biggest oak, farthest away from the building.  She met me there with her brown bag, plopped down next to me, and sighed.  “Okay, my sister just got a greasy boyfriend who wears all black and looks like an elf.  I just saw them together, and it made me sick.  I’ll run away with you.”  I gave her a hug, and I loved her again. 
After school that afternoon, Martha came over to my house.  She brought a giant yellow duffle bag full of clothes and shoes and books.  “What do you need all those clothes for?”  I asked.  “We’ll be on our own in the woods.  No one will care if we wear the same three outfits over and over.  It’ll be great!  All those clothes and shoes will only weigh you down.”  Martha consented to giving up some of the clothes and shoes, but I let her keep the books because, well, books are marvelous and always necessary. 
Martha helped me pack my own bag, and when I was certain my mother was passed out on the couch in front of the TV, Martha and I sneaked downstairs and into the kitchen where we poured water into our matching pink lunch thermoses we had bought together at school a year ago.  We packed lunch boxes again, and this time I stole a whole fifty from Ma’s purse (if it helps, I do regret it now).  The image of Ma sprawled out on the couch in the den as Martha and I were leaving will be imprinted on my mind always: skinny, fragile, sickly-looking, tired and heavy breathing a low rumble, a simmering cigarette propped upright in her half-open hole of a mouth.  Before going out the door, I quickly turned on my heel and ran over to the couch where I removed the dangerous burning cigarette from Ma’s mouth, snubbed it out in the ashtray on the coffee table, and draped a throw-blanket over Ma’s body.  “Good-bye, Ma,” I whispered, and then I quickly followed Martha out into the night. 



PART TWO

I go back to that spot in the woods where Martha and I made camp often, these days.  It’s truthfully the only place I feel quite at home, as sad as that may sound. 

            I went back there on Martha’s eighteenth birthday, to fill myself with her presence and all the pleasant memories attached to her.  Thinking about Martha brings on a flood of memories from jumping contests on the trampoline, to tea parties in my bedroom, to looking at our middle school yearbooks and giggling over the cutest boys, and the most annoying ones.  I don’t ever want to lose any part of Martha, even the small window of time I hated her back when she told me she wouldn’t run away with me because she liked her family. 
            When I went there on her birthday, I wasn’t expecting anyone else to be there.  No one went to that spot anymore; it’s as if the accident had tainted it for everyone else.  I don’t know if many people had camped out in that little clearing by the lake before what happened to me, but I know they certainly did not after they read about it in the papers. 
            But on Martha’s birthday, there was a small cluster of tents set up around a campfire burning brightly in the night.  Curious, I crept towards it and listened in on the conversation taking place around the campfire.  I couldn’t see anyone from where I was, but I could hear voices and make out vaguely-human shadows cast on the tents circled around the fire.  The voices sounded young, like kids. 
            I crept forward more until I could make out the people sitting on sleeping bags around the blazing fire.  They were teenagers, probably high-schoolers.  I didn’t recognize any of them.  I wondered if I had known any of them from before and over the years had just…forgotten.  I was standing behind an orange tent looking on and listening when I heard a familiar voice pipe up from directly in front of that tent, only feet away from me: “…Yeah, but I told you I didn’t want to have my birthday out here.” 
            I gasped.  Was it…could it be? 
            “I know, but we really thought it would be good for you,” a girl from across the circle said soothingly, a brunette with freckles. 
            “Yeah, therapeutic and shit,” a red-headed boy added, ever so tastefully. 
            “But you’re right, Martha, we shouldn’t have drug you here anyway, no matter how much we thought it would help you,” a handsome dark-haired boy said from beside the person who was hidden from me by the orange tent.  My breath caught in my throat as I hurried around the tent to see who was sitting there…gasp!  Yes!  It was her!  My dear Martha, a beautiful grown-up version of herself, still with long blonde hair, though instead of twisting into two braids that hung down her front, it was free and wavy and flowing down her back.  I hadn’t seen her since the accident; I hadn’t seen anyone from my life.  It would have been too hard to stay away, I believed.  Instead, I had spent the last six years wandering around to different spots I had gone to as a kid: the fishing hole, the Safe-n-Saver, the bike paths, this spot in the woods…. 
            “It’s just so creepy out here,” Martha said with a shiver.  The handsome dark-haired boy put his arms around her.  “It’s like she’s…still here, or something.” 
            A magnetic pull wrenched me forward, as if my soul desired to go to her against my own will.  But I stood my ground, forcefully.  No, I told my shaking self, that would do no good.  I could think of no greater rejection than to run to my best friend whom I hadn’t seen in six years and not be greeted with so much as eye contact, which I knew would be the dire case. 
            The dark-haired boy glanced around the circle of glowing campfire faces, and a few of them nodded.  He looked back to Martha.  “Would you like to…talk about her?” 
            “No,” Martha said quickly. 
            My soul shivered. 
            “You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” the freckled brunette girl went on, “but we all think it might be good for you.  We know you were close to her, but…but you’ve never really talked about what happened.  We thought bringing you here might finally give you closure.” 
            “I don’t want closure,” Martha said weakly, looking up with tears in her eyes that sparkled like sapphires in the light of the fire. 
            I would have cried too if I still had tear ducts. 
            “She was my best friend,” Martha said softly.  “I am…reluctant to let her go.” 
            None of the others said anything, but their faces urged her to go on, because they all knew she really needed to let me go.  I could tell Martha knew it too.  She heaved a sigh before saying, “She lived next door to me.  She was very unhappy.  Her family was…weird.  Her parents had never gotten along, at least not since I had known them, and her brother was…just a deadbeat, really.  He was kind of cute though.”  Martha laughed and blushed a little with this admission.  “I never told her, but I had a bit of a crush on her deadbeat brother.” 
            I knew that. 
            “To tell the truth, I was always a little bit jealous of her, as much as I loved her.  She had this sucky situation, and she wasn’t happy, but she was still…fiery and innovative, sort of like a candle resistant to being blown out.  I always wished I could be that strong.” 
            I did not know that. 
            “Anyway, we ran away from home one night, like a lot of twelve-year-old kids do,” Martha went on, her voice getting colder.  “As usual, she had thought of everything; we packed a tent, some clothes, some books, a couple of lunch boxes, a flashlight…” she laughed.  “Boy, we believed we had thought of everything.”  The dark-haired boy squeezed her shoulder.  Martha kept talking.  “So, we set up the tent and crawled inside with the flashlight, and we giggled like silly girls having a sleepover and talked about our next big life plans as we ate our peanut butter sandwiches and sipped our juice boxes.  She said she was going to join the circus someday, and I remember thinking that would have been the perfect job for her!  Then she could have a new sort of family, a family of circus freaks to travel around with from town to town with no deadbeat brother, no distant mother, no cheating father…you know?  I don’t know, that’s just what I remember thinking then.”  Martha’s eyes looked glassy-gray now as she stared hard into the dancing orange flames.  “And then, we decided to go down and see the lake.  It was very dark, but we brought the flashlight and used it to swat the tall grass and weeds out of the way as we went.  When we got to the edge of the lake, I leaned out over it, trying stupidly to see my reflection in it.  I didn’t see anything, of course.  The lake was as it is now, murky dirty brown, and again, as it is now, this clearing is not quite clear enough to let in enough moonlight for a reflection.  But in leaning over the lake, I lost my balance, stepped back quickly, and dropped the flashlight into the lake.  It bobbed for a few seconds on the surface, and then the batteries weighted it enough to sink.” 
            I stepped closer towards Martha reluctantly.  I wanted to see her more clearly, really see her for the last time.  I lowered myself down in front of her, between her and the fire, so that we were almost touching noses, if I had one anymore. 
            Martha suddenly stopped telling her story and cocked her head to one side slightly, like a confused dog.  She blinked hard once and stared directly at me.  For a moment, I felt her really looking at me, but then it was gone and she shook her head and continued telling her story to the group gathered around her.  “Anyway, I couldn’t swim, but she could.  She told me to step back while she dove in after the flashlight.  I should have told her to forget it.  I should have told her we could make our way back to the highway without a flashlight much easier than she could find it in the murky, dark, cold water.  But surprise and fear in the darkness kept my mouth shut, and she was in the water before I even realized how truly dangerous it could be.  And then suddenly, my mind jerked an old memory to the surface forcefully: I was a little girl, probably five or six, when we lived in our old house on the other side of these woods, and my dad had read a story in the paper about a little boy who had gotten bitten twice by a very poisonous snake by this lake.  The boy was rushed to the hospital, and he survived, though he came frighteningly close to death before he recovered.  ‘Don’t ever go down to that lake alone, girls,’ my dad had told my sister and me then. 
            She was already in the water, but this memory seared me like a fire-poker, and I started screaming.  I saw her head bob up out of the water, at least I think it was her head, it was very very dark, and I just kept screaming and screaming.  In my head, I was saying Get out of the water, get out of there, there are snakes in there, get out get out get out, but I know that aloud it just came out as very shrill shrieks of terror.  Though it was maddeningly dark, I did see the white flicker of its head surface, the one that got her….” 
            I could feel myself backing away from Martha slowly, though I didn’t want to go.  No, I whispered into the warm night air, just a few more minutes with her, just a few more minutes before I go…. 
            “Still screaming, I turned around and ran.  I couldn’t see where I was going, and I hardly cared, as long as I could somehow get back to civilization and tell someone, anyone, that there was a poor girl stuck in a lake of snakes.  I did, finally, but it was too late.” 
            I felt all warm and watery then, as though I was evaporating.  The sensation was a nice one, kind of like resurfacing from a good, refreshing dunk in the swimming pool. 
            “They searched the rest of the night and found her body early the next morning, bloated and floating half-submerged in the middle of the lake.  I didn’t see her body (the funeral was closed-casket), but I still have this horrible mental image left in my head when I was told that they found her like that.  Sort of like the old lady in the bathtub in The Shining, or something…just morbid and awful and a reminder.” 
            I was getting warmer and more watery, and I was beginning to feel something closer to happiness than I had ever glimpsed before.  Was I smiling as I drifted away?  Yes, I think so. 
            “And that’s that,” Martha was saying below, her voice growing fainter as I floated up and up and up… “You were right, guys.  Surprisingly, I do feel a little better having talked about her, freer somehow, as if a weight was just lifted from my shoulders….” 
            I was so far up now that the people below were just a circle of ants, and the tents were their mounded anthills.  The lake was a shimmery black hole down there, less water and more space, just an empty void I no longer filled. 
            I kept floating up and up and up, and as I did, the happiness spread larger and the black lake-hole kept shrinking and shrinking.  And all of the sky was soft and welcoming as she let me go, and I let her go, at last.  I was finally high enough to see the stars, which on a night as lovely as this one looked less like stars and more like the twinkling, happy lights around the circus ring.  Step right up!  Ladies and gentlemen, a spectacle like this you have yet to behold…introducing, the one, the only, Lady of the Lake, a sensational performer indeed, a candle forever resistant to being blown out.   

- Lindsay 

No comments:

Post a Comment